Dentists usually choose traditional metal braces to correct crooked and crowded teeth, a misaligned bite, and jaw problems. Traditional braces use metal brackets together with an adhesive and connecting wire. However, if you opt for invisible braces, click the link. You will find more information about clear aligners, such as Invisalign.
Traditional metal braces
If we consider all the options to correct overcrowding, misaligned bite, or jaw problems, dentists usually recommend traditional braces. Why? It is because these braces are capable of fixing several oral issues.
Aside from that, these braces can accompany patients from different age brackets—even a child. Furthermore, the benefits of using traditional braces are beyond the aesthetic oral concern. Meanwhile, it would be best for you to know the conventional type of braces’ pros and cons.
Generally speaking, every cosmetic dentistry treatment option has its potential drawbacks. For this reason, the patient needs to discuss with their dentist first. Moving on, please check out the advantages and disadvantages of choosing conventional braces.
Dr. Elizabeth from Our Dental Care Drummoyne explained the positive side of conventional braces. How advantageous are they compared to other orthodontic treatment options, such as clear aligners?
- Traditional braces are excellent in treating a wide range of oral issues, from simple teeth straightening to complex bite correction.
- This treatment option is suitable for all ages, especially for those whose mouth is still developing. Additionally, orthodontists can even incorporate additional appliances as treatment progresses.
- Braces nowadays already available in several materials. Patients have plenty to choose from, depending on their preference.
- Conventional braces are relatively affordable. On average, it can cost between $1800 to $5500, depending on the condition’s complexity. As for clear aligners such as Invisalign, it can cost at least $5000.
- Furthermore, conventional braces are proven durable and can provide quick treatment results.
On the other hand, you should not be aware of the positive sides of conventional braces only. It would be best to know the disadvantages as well.
Below are the other side of conventional braces. You have to understand these as well to help you balance things out.
- Since conventional braces are noticeable, some patients may take the appearance of braces as unappealing.
- Additionally, conventional braces can also cause pain and soreness, especially during periodic adjustments and alignments.
- Besides that, few patients can experience irritation in the lips and cheeks’ insides due to the metal properties.
- For the most part, you cannot remove these conventional braces from your teeth. Patients may encounter difficulty in performing their oral care because of that. As a result, they are prone to develop excessive plaque buildup and tooth discoloration.
As shown above, metal braces have their pros and cons. However, your dentist will explain every detail to you. This way, you can understand the treatment option and how it will work for your teeth. Moreover, these braces offer excellent results if you will ask those who already experienced them. Even during the period that you are with it, some patients think of it as fashionable.
But then again, you can try watching this short video below. It discusses the different types of braces that the patients can choose based on their preference. However, the dentist still needs confirmation and evaluation if it matches your teeth condition.
Proper care for metal braces
- Choose the right toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash to prevent adverse effects in the metal braces and your teeth as well.
- Gently brush your teeth to remove the tiny food particles stuck in between your teeth, gums, and braces.
- Floss at least once a day. It can help you remove the food particles that brushing alone cannot do.
- Aside from that, you can also use an oral irrigator to clean your teeth and braces.
- Moreover, you have to choose the content of your diet correctly. Some foods are not preferable to eat while you have braces.
If you want to make your conventional braces last long and fasten your treatment, you should be extra careful with your oral activities.
Traditional metal braces never go out of the line of dentistry. Moreover, dental professionals keep improving it accordingly. Despite these improvements, the purpose remains. It still functions the same in treating oral issues, whether simple or complex.
Overall, regardless of the several straightening options, the majority still end up using traditional metal braces as this clinic in Canberra notes.